Thursday, March 17, 2016

VW Camper Van

Well, this relatively "easy" project turned into an all day project! I purchased this 3D file with the intention of filling it with candy. Little did I know, that despite what the photo of the project depicted, it couldn't hold candy. Or anything!

So I set to work to modify the file for what I needed. It is far from perfect, but it works!

This is the original file

Once I cut it out (luckily I only cut the base first) I found out that the bottom had holes in it. I also noticed that the sides of the front and back did not adhere to the van sides. I knew I was going to modify this somewhat, add more windows, other detail. But I had NO idea how much I was in for!

To the drawing board I went. 

Original cut file: 




Modified cut file: 


I am very grateful for my experience with SVG Attic cut files because I knew what I needed to add to make this thing work for me! 

Once I got the pieces cut, I decided I wanted the inside of the van to have color. I did this for a very specific reason! To hold the windows in. Once I applied the clear vellum to the window areas, I applied the inner walls to help hold them in place. 

 ^^^Those little clips are a life saver for holding glued areas while I move on!^^^
I didn't like in the original file that the sides of the van were a small strip. So I simply added a v to the front of the van, and cut the sides down in green to the shape I wanted. 

For the bottom, I created a simple box tray and glued it into place. (Not pictured)
After I got all the sides and modifications done, I filled it with candy. First layer is Reese's PB Cups, then laffy taffy, and finally Kit Kats.



 I used the recipients initials in the emblem above ^


Materials Used: 
Silhouette Cameo
Craftwell eBrush
Sharpies
DCWV Double sided 11x17 Premium Stack ~ Double-sided Brights
Recollections Brads
Laffy Taffy
Reese's PB Cups
KitKat 
Scotch ATG Gun
Aleene's Tacky Glue

6 comments:

  1. Very cool project! The van looks amazing, love the color too! You did an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it too. I think you did an amazing job.Sometimes the simpler they are the more challenge it becomes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Jean! Seems to be my days in and out! I love what I do though so no complaints from me! :)

      Delete